Wooden “plates” used by restaurants pose a food poisoning risk to people eating from them, a council has warned as it issued a £50,000 fine to a steakhouse where 14 people fell ill… Birmingham City Council brought the case against Ibrahim’s Grill and Steak House because it kept using the boards to serve food. A number of issues of concern were found, including a high level reliance on the use of disposable gloves, rather than staff washing hands. In addition, wooden plates which were incapable of being cleaned were being used to serve the food, the city’s magistrates’ court heard.
Setting aside the hygiene issues of abandoning ceramics in favour of grooved wooden chopping boards, there’s also the matter of presentational flair, which, as we’ve seen, ranges from the merely bizarre to the nakedly perverse. At a recent family lunch at an upscale village pub, the food and service were excellent but the dining was somewhat complicated by modish presentation. Specifically, a 30cm wide ‘plate’ that was about 70% rim, with a deep indentation in the centre, roughly the size of a coffee mug, into which the entire meal had been stacked, vertically. Imagine a layer cake of pork, potatoes and spinach. All tasty, certainly, but just a tad inaccessible.